The Corona Fear/Virus
I listen to John Piper’s podcast almost every other day. He is really good exegeting the scriptures and I enjoy listening to his perspective on things. The other day I listened to his podcast “How To Make Sense of the Corona Virus.” In this podcast he examined from scriptures four Biblical explanations for the Corona Virus but I believe he missed one very important point. Let me show you the four he gave then I will share the one I believe he missed:
1) Subject to Futility - Christians, by being saved through the gospel of God’s grace, do not escape this physical corruption, futility, and death. The basis of this point is Romans 8:20–23.
2) Sickness as Mercy - God sometimes inflicts sickness on his people as a purifying and rescuing judgment, which is not a condemnation, but an act of mercy for his saving purposes. And that point is based on 1 Corinthians 11:29–32. That text deals with misusing the Lord’s Supper, but the principle is broader.
3) Sickness as Judgment - God sometimes uses disease to bring particular judgments upon those who reject him and give themselves over to sin. I’ll give two examples. In Acts 12, Herod the king exalted himself in being called a god. “Immediately an angel of the Lord struck him down, because he did not give God the glory, and he was eaten by worms and breathed his last” (Acts 12:23)
4) God’s Thunderclap - All natural disasters — whether floods, famines, locusts, tsunamis, or diseases — are a thunderclap of divine mercy in the midst of judgment, calling all people everywhere to repent and realign their lives, by grace, with the infinite worth of the glory of God. And the basis for that building block is Luke 13:1–5.
This is a very good exegetical study to look at diseases and disasters from a reasonable biblical perspective BUT the one point I believe he missed on this study is:
5) Believers who Believe Are Witnesses in caos - Diseases offer believers who believe an opportunity to display the power of the kingdom to the world. “...It will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.” The context is “snakes and deadly poison”(but it means deadly things). The basis for this belief is Mark 16:15-18.
A friend recently asked me; “Are you not praying for the people with Corona Virus?” I answered, “No, I am praying for the people with Corona Virus to come across a believer who believes. So, a witness of the power of Christ’s name may be given with the evidence of signs following. So the sick person will be prayed, healed and feel more than compelled to follow Christ.”
You may not agree with me but I defend my position on the scriptures. You may choose to be an exegetical believer and that is perfectly fine, since I consider myself one also. But I also am a believing believer who’ve seen too many miracles happen before my eyes to have doubts on Mark 16:15-18. I refuse to live in FEAR like people are doing today and I make myself 100 % available to be one of the believing believers in this time. I will not be going out and looking for someone with the Covid-19 but here I am, if one comes to me I will pray for him and he will be restored, I will not use all this mask stuffs. That assurance comes from faith, not a blind one but one which have seen the veracity of this fact in much more than one occurrence. Believing believers make the Gospels real today. Exegete on this!
Stay at peace,